
I know it has been a while since I've blogged, but my New Year's resolution is to start blogging more frequently.
It was definitely strange being away from my family during the holidays. Thanksgiving was nuts at the hotel. Luckily, my parents visited the first week of December. It was great to see them. We had tons of fun. I'll make a separate post about their trip later. So many people in and out of the shop buying things, inquiring about tours and asking questions about the area. It was exhausting, but worth it. At Edelweiss, we serve those who serve us. So many of the guests are on R&R and when they stay at ELR it may be the first time they have seen their families in months (and may be the last). It is a good feeling working to give the soldiers and their families a nice, restful vacation.
I am going to share one of my favorite poems that helps inspire me when I am feeling tired or frusterated at work:
It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.
-Charles M. Province
It was definitely strange being away from my family during the holidays. Thanksgiving was nuts at the hotel. Luckily, my parents visited the first week of December. It was great to see them. We had tons of fun. I'll make a separate post about their trip later. So many people in and out of the shop buying things, inquiring about tours and asking questions about the area. It was exhausting, but worth it. At Edelweiss, we serve those who serve us. So many of the guests are on R&R and when they stay at ELR it may be the first time they have seen their families in months (and may be the last). It is a good feeling working to give the soldiers and their families a nice, restful vacation.
I am going to share one of my favorite poems that helps inspire me when I am feeling tired or frusterated at work:
It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.
-Charles M. Province

2 comments:
Lydia,
Your dad forwarded your blog site to me. This is so exciting and I am absolutely blown away by all the things you've done and seen so far. And this poem about the soldier really brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful you are able to do what you're doing and see all these great places too. I'll look forward to seeing more of your adventures. Enjoy this time in your life, memories are priceless and this time is packed with memories for you. Keep on keeping on, enjoy yourself, have fun and take care. Blessings to you, Diane Adams
I love this poem, Lydia. Says it all doesn't it? I'm glad you are updating your blog. Keep it up, it's very interesting.
Post a Comment